Thursday, March 13, 2008

Interesting...

It is Friday 14-3-08 (as written in Australia) or 3-14-08 (as written in America). I just got finished with my five hour tutorial in food production! It was an awesome learning experience--I learned cutting techniques and how to take a part a chicken all in one class.....and to think I still have 13 more weeks of it.....ANYWAY--I just wanted to write a few interesting things down for your enjoyment.




In Australia...
Popsicles are called "Icy Poles"
Rice Krispies are called "Rice Bubbles"
If you tell someone thank you--their reply will usually be, "that's okay"
Instead of "how are you?" Aussies say, "How ya' goin'"

Bell peppers are called "Capsicum" (Cap-skin)
The bathroom is not referred to in that term or as a restroom. ALL Australians call it "the toilet."
Garbage is "Rubbish"

Yield is "give way"
AND in the Australian culture you don't have to leave tips for cab drivers, hair dresser
s, or bartenders (Which for me is a good thing.)

Anyway---just thought I'd jot down a few of the interesting things I have encountered down under. Hope all is well at home!
Much love to you ALL!


No comments: